Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Final Stages







I started getting interested in photography in a big way abut 7 or 8 years ago. Now I rank myself as an enthusiastic amateur. I have been told I have a good eye by more than one professional which pleases me. Maybe it's because of my love of art - something I discovered in a big way in high school. However, looking back, I think I always loved art and pictures. I always noticed things. People I knew thought I was strange when I said that the air smelled sweet or wasn't something that some deemed insignificant as pretty. This year I became a part of a website called Capture Your 365. We get a daily "prompt." So this is my response to today's which is Final Stages. 

My husband and I were visiting nearby New Castle, DE a couple of weeks ago. One of the things we noticed in this historic town was how many mailboxes were still around. The mailbox has become more and more scarce. Of course mail is more and more scarce. Companies who bill want to send out paperless billing. People pay their bills through their bank website. When we DO get mail it's generally a card or a catalog or some unsolicited junk mail. 

The book Shooting With Soul actually talks about photographing your "good mail." I've had a few - a lovely thank you card from a bride and groom, a pretty postcard announcing an art fair, a cheerful catalog with a retro picture of Santa Claus. 
Most mail goes into recycling, but I do take pictures of the good stuff! This rather sad mailbox - rusting away, desperately in need of paint, but still being emptied on a regular basis - was for me, a good example of Final Stages - at least for the way we used to live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment